Community Health Programs
AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast is dedicated to improving health outcomes and is strongly committed to the communities we serve. With the support of providers, community organizations, and faith-based organizations, we offer a wide range of health programs aimed at helping to improve the health and well-being of our members.
- Bright Start® maternity program. Our goal with this program is to provide information and resources to help our members have safe pregnancies and healthy babies by encouraging good prenatal and postpartum care.
- Childhood obesity initiative. In response to the increased issues of childhood obesity in the United States, we created the Healthy You, Healthy Me childhood obesity program. The goals of this program are to increase physical activity, increase smart snacking, and increase a healthier lifestyle awareness, while reducing children’s body mass index (BMI) scores.
- Children’s Art Program. Members in grades pre-K through 8 are invited to submit original works of art reflecting an annual theme. First, second, and third place winners in age categories are awarded gift cards.
- Community Gardens. Members and Plan associates participate in preparing, seeding, and maintaining community gardens.
Healthy Hoops® program. Healthy Hoops is an innovative asthma and obesity management program that uses basketball as a platform to teach asthmatic children and their families how to manage asthma through proper nutrition, exercise, and appropriate medication use. It also focuses on decreasing childhood obesity and increasing cardiovascular activity.
The program features basketball clinics for children taught by local and regional basketball legends. Hands-on asthma education for children and parents include:
- Weight management tips.
- Asthma and other health screenings.
- Nutrition information.
- Moms2B Baby Showers. Moms2B baby showers engage members, primarily new mothers and moms-to-be, and inform them of the importance of regular prenatal care, infant sleep safety, stress management, nutrition, and effective parent-child communication.
AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast proudly works with many community organizations and leaders. Some of the organizations include:
- United Neighborhood Centers of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
- Pocono Services for Families and Children.
- Friends of the Poor.
- Commission on Economic Opportunity.
- Antioch Baptist Church.
- Firetree Place.
- Bradford Tioga Head Start.
- Dominican House.