Benefit Limits and Services Not Covered
Benefit limits for AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast members are:
- For adult members you are limited to one (1) Inpatient Medical Rehabilitation Hospital admission each year - see "Exception Process" below
- If you are an adult in the General Assistance category, you are also limited to one (1) Acute Care Inpatient Hospital admission each year- See "Exception Process" below
These limits do not apply if you are under age 21 or if you are pregnant.
The limit period starts again on July 1 of every year.
You or your provider may ask AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast to approve services above these limits. This is called an exception. An exception can be granted if:
- You have a serious chronic illness or other serious health condition and without the additional service your life would be in danger; or
- You have a serious chronic illness or other serious health condition and without the additional service your health would get much worse; or
- You would need more costly services if the exception is not granted; or
- You would have to go into a nursing home or institution if the exception is not granted.
To ask for an exception before you receive the service:
- Call AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast Member Services and tell the Member Services representative that you want to ask for an exception to the benefit limits.
- You can mail or fax a written request to:
Benefit Limit Exceptions
Member Services Department
AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast
8040 Carlson Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112
- Your provider can call the AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast Care Management department at 1-888-208-5966.
Services Not Covered
Some of the services that are not covered by the Pennsylvania Medical Assistance program and or AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Services that are not medically necessary
- Services given by a provider who is not in the AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast provider network, except for:
- Emergency services
- Family planning services
- When there is prior approval from AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast
- When you have Medicare and seek Medicare-covered services from the Medicare provider of your choice
- Cosmetic surgery, such as face-lifts, tummy tucks or liposuction
- Experimental and investigational procedures, services and/or drugs
- Home modifications (for example, chair lifts)
- Infertility services
- Paternity testing
- Any service offered and covered through another insurance program, such as Worker's Compensation, Veterans Administration or other commercial insurance that has not been prior authorized by AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast.However, Medicare covered services do not require prior authorization.
- Services provided outside the United States and its territories. AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast is not allowed to make payments outside of the United States.
- Private duty (also known as shift care) skilled nursing and/or private duty home health aide services for members 21 years of age or older
- Services not considered to be a "medical service" under Title XIX of the Social Security Act
- This is not a complete list of non-covered services.
AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast may not cover all of your health care expenses. You may be responsible for payment of services if you have been told in advance that AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast does not cover the services. It is important to check with your PCP or AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast Member Services department to find out which health care services are covered.
If you cannot find what you are looking for on our Web site, please call us at 1-855-809-9200. Our Representatives are there to help you.